Brotherhood chapel

The spiritual centre of the Brotherhood was and is still the Brotherhood chapel that Heinrich erected next to the hospice.

A safe passage over the Arlberg was of great importance also for the church. In 1398 Heinrich obtained a pontifical clemency letter from Pope Boniface IX to build the chapel. The chapel was consecrated by the Bishop of Brixen in 1398 who also granted forty days indulgence to all those who prayed in the chapel.

In return for their financial support the donors were offered a diminution of their penance or a total indulgence of their sins. Heinrich was able to obtain such letters of indulgence from bishops throughout Europe. The originals of these documents can be found today in the Stams monastery in Tyrol.

Also of interest